Skillshare: Encrypt the Hood (Private and Secure Internet Usage in the NSA Age)
Facilitator: Jabari Zakiya (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1) You can only be secure as a group, meaning the person you’re emailing or chatting with also needs to be using secure technology. Everyone should make a habit of securing their internet communications and browsing.
2) Safe Browsers: Mozilla Firefox is more secure than Google. Google’s browser (Chrome) is traceable. In Chrome/Google, all of your information is collected as metadata.
- Use Slimjet instead of Chrome (www.slimjet.com )
- The Tor Network is another recommendation for browsing – more sercure than Firefox (www.torproject.org)
3) Google/Apple/Macs aren’t safe and individuals can track us consistently google/apple/you don’t know
4) Other recommendations include:
- PRISM Break - https://prism-break.org/en/ - a list of many programs to use for different needs. Browse here to find what you need.
- DuckDuckgo - https://duckduckgo.com/ - secure search instead of google.
- Put “!g” before your search in duckduckgo and it will do a secure google search.
- Cryptocat (Chat function) https://crypto.cat/
- You can send encrypted anon chat session with Cryptocat using the Fb network.
- jitsi.org - can send encrypted files, chat, video chat, do
Passwords are passe. one day soon our desktops will be our browsers. --- Switzerland has the most robust security laws.
5) Good plug-in – Mail Volop = Email through gmail and goes on encrypted and a GPG protocol. There is an app does that.
6) Proton Mail .ch - https://protonmail.ch/ - safe email
7) Email - email options
- protonmail - in beta now
- mykolab - costs money, you have full ability to download, developing new patches every day for new threats
- riseup - not as user friendly
8) Phones – IPhones cannot be turned off. If you got an Iphone it’s on all the time. There is also a Blackphone.
- battery power analysis allows for geolocation
- mic can be used to listen even when you aren’t on the phone
- All of china’s stuff is now Linux-based
9) A replacement for using Microsoft Word is LibreOffice – It used to be Open / Alternative for Microsoft office/ Lynx/ Reads every Microsoft file/docx, doc,
10) Blackphone – OwnCloud-Org – Apps/Contact/Email/